Promoting and Developing Angling:Make Angling Popular | Get People Fishing | Fishing Matches| Litter: Anglers are Not the Main Problem | National Angling Strategy
English anglers have enjoyed unparalleled success in international angling competitions. In angling, England is the equivalent of football's Brazil. We aim to maintain these levels of performance at national and international level and ensure that young anglers have the opportunity to develop their skills.
In spite of this success, and the fact that more people fish than play football, the sport receives little recognition in the media and the achievements of our national teams go unnoticed. National and International angling competitions and teams receive minimal sponsorship as a result. Often our international teams have to pay their own way to fish against teams from other countries who are supported by sponsorship.
One of the ways of encouraging youngsters to take up and enjoy fishing is to promote the achievements of the best anglers and encourage them to compete. Competitions are very important for the complex fabric of angling, its club structure and the development of new skills and tackle.
What we will do:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for more than 30 national and international competitions and teams in coarse, game and sea angling.
- Move towards developing those teams into a marketable brand "Team England" with the potential to attract major sponsorship from outside angling.
- Promote the achievements of our international teams and individuals and the results of national competitions. Ensure that competitions are equitable and fair.
- Secure sponsorship deals and other funds to support the national teams fishing for England.
- Make the National Individual Championship in coarse angling available to all AT members Explore ways of developing new club and county coarse championships based on commercial waters capable of hosting large numbers of anglers on a regular basis.
- Do similar work with sea and game anglers to see if there are unsatisfied demands for new competitions.
- Provide TV ready clips of competition success for local and national TV news.
- Improve the reporting of results so that when we enjoy national team success there are professional writers and photographers to run the story for the nationals, radio and TV.
- Attract far more funding from sponsors, who would place a higher value on reaching a large number of our members.
- Develop a performance and competitions strategy which could lead to Sport England funding for national teams.
- Increase prize money and participation in competitions.
- Develop a national results service which would provide information to competitors about matches all over the country.