AnglingTrust The voice of Angling


What is a Volunteer Bailiff?

Phase 1:

Phase 1 Volunteer Bailiffs contribute by being ‘eyes and ears’, reporting what they see and hear to a high evidential standard, driving the all-important ‘intelligence-led’ system. The VBS exists to support both the Environment Agency and police in protecting fish and fisheries.

Phase 2:

During Phase 1 we get to know our VBs, who likewise can decide whether, if selected, they may like to go on to Phase 2 – being warranted and working directly in support of EA fisheries enforcement officers, checking rod licences and dealing with certain fisheries offences.

Phase 2 candidates have to pass a competency-based interview and are then provided training by the EA in law, process, conflict resolution and much more besides. Phase 2 VBs are then supervised by EA team leaders, and work in their teams. Phase 2 VBs can also continue contributing to Phase 1. Phase 2 is currently a pilot project in South East England which, if successful, will be extended to other areas.

How do I apply to be a VB?

Email with your name and area you live so that we can register your interest to apply when recruiting starts again. We will also send you some information about the Voluntary Bailiff Service.

What is the application process?

You will be sent an application form and declaration regarding any unspent criminal convictions to complete. After that our local Regional Enforcement Manager will arrange to carry out a brief and informal interview by telephone or in person to chat about the role and to answer any questions. You will then be asked to attend a mandatory VBS Induction and Training day in your area, at which you will receive your kit, pocketbook and ID card.

What skills or experience do I need?

You need to be:
  • Physically able to carry out patrols.
  • Able to swim as you will be patrolling near watercourses.
  • Computer literate to access our secure VBS website and log patrols.

What training will I get?

The mandatory training day should give you all the info you need to begin your role as a VB. However, you will have access to all of our training material on the VBS website and there will be extra training in your region. Training is provided by law enforcement professionals of the Angling Trust, EA and police.

What support will I get?

You will be allocated an Area Coordinator who is there to support you, keep you updated about what’s going on and answer any questions you might have as you go along. Please remember though that they are also volunteers with other commitments so will come back to you as soon as possible. You will also be able to contact your Regional Enforcement Manager whose details will be given to you.

How much time will I need to give?

Phase 1 VBs are not tasked to patrol specific areas and can contribute as many or as few hours as they wish. A ‘patrol’, therefore, could include a fishing trip or an angling club bailiff patrolling his or her club water. VBs do, however, have the opportunity to undertake joint patrols with the EA and police.

Will it cost me anything?

No. Volunteers should not be out of pocket when they work with us and we will reimburse reasonable agreed expenses, such as travelling to attend a pre-scheduled joint patrol with the EA and/or police, and training.

Do I need personal insurance?

No. The Angling Trust has insurance cover for legal liability claims, either by or against volunteers working for the Trust, resulting in damage to property or personal injury.

Are there any age or other restrictions?

Providing you are over 18, physically able to carry out patrols and can swim, there is no upper age limit. The VBS embraces diversity - which is reflected by our volunteers.

I have a criminal record. Can I still volunteer?

It is accepted that people make mistakes, often in their youth, but go on to lead law-abiding and productive lives. Having a criminal record, therefore, is not an automatic bar to joining the VBS but this would typically depend on a) what the offence and sentence was, b) how recent it was, i.e. whether ‘spent’ under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, 1974 (and updates). The VBS is governed by a joint Angling Trust & Environment Agency Project Board, which carefully considers all applications involving previous convictions.

Can I volunteer if I live outside UK?

It is your responsibility to make sure you are able to volunteer while in the UK. In general, if you are from the European Union (not including Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia) or European Economic Area you will be able to volunteer with us but you should always check your visa conditions to be certain of this. If you have any doubts or questions you should contact UK Visas and Immigration.

Can I volunteer as a refugee / asylum seeker?

If you have refugee status or have exceptional leave to remain, then you are very welcome to volunteer with us. If you are an Asylum Seeker then you can also volunteer with us. If your final appeal is refused and you are denied leave to remain then you will have to stop volunteering with us.

Contact: Angling Trust Eastwood House, 6 Rainbow Street, Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 8DQ
Tel: 0343 5077006 (For Membership enquiries select Option 1) |
Calls to our 0343 number are charged at the same rate as normal landline numbers.
Office hours are Mon - Thu 9.00-5.00 and Fri 4.30. Please leave a message if you call outside these hours or email us.
twitter_icon_large facebook_icon_large
Angling Trust Limited is a company limited by guarantee, company number 05320350

Site by Nemisys
Powered by FixturesLive